Thursday, January 1, 2009

Celebrating New Year!

I was eating my lunch at McDonalds IBN Batuta Mall of December 31 when I read the news that the ruler of Dubai Sheik Mohammed Al Maktoum urging its citizens not to celebrate the incoming New Year with a big bang. No fireworks and no alcohol will be served during the eve of December 31st in consideration of the Gaza War. As hotelier, I was a bit worried considering the preparations we made for this special night. Entertainers were flown from their country, food has been prepared, restaurant reservations were confirmed and so on and so forth. Thousands of Dirhams were spend to meet guests’ satisfaction.

At 10pm while going to hotel for work, I had the chance to talk to Ms. Theresa, F & B Secretary and informed me that the memorandum from the ruler of Dubai has been lifted. Still, No fireworks and alcohol will be served only indoor.

At 11pm I started my duty and saw guests on their best look to celebrate for the night. When the clock hit 12:00, everybody greeted each other including us, staff. There were no fireworks, only live entertainment and loud music during intervelas. The night was filled with fun and laughter although the celebration did not last for long compared to the past 3 years I celebrated New Year here in Dubai . It seems that everybody feels the tension of Global Crisis; everybody seems hesitant to throw their money away to celebrate.

At 3am, the hotel lobby was already quite. Guests went home while others went straight to their room and sleep. We busy ourselves talking about the year that just passed and the hopes we had for the New Year.

8am I finished my shift and went home. Sleep.

Happy New Year!

No comments: