Tuesday, December 23, 2008

DIFF Volunteer Party

Last night was the DIFF Volunteer Party. I am expecting that it would be a tiresome activity since I don’t have someone to smash the dance floor with. I was thinking of going to place, take the Certification of Appreciation, drink and go home immediately.

As I enter (30 mins. late) the venue which was held at TEYALI Tent of Mina Asalam, the mood was merry enough in order for me not to feel insecure. Every one was busy chatting and taking pictures. A very friendly waiter immediately approached me with a drink and I took a glass of Pineapple Juice from his tray. I was sorry to be informed that there is no alcohol drinks for the night. I went straight to the registration desk and took my certification. I saw 2-3 Filipinos on the place and a simple hello is too much for us to give each other. I don’t know why, maybe because of our pride. I stood in one corner and luckily, one Filipino from an Ad Company who was also a volunteer approached me and break the ice. We had a small talk and after a few minutes, pictures and video clips of volunteers during the DIFF were played on the overhead projector, messages from key personalities, group picture taking and awarding of best volunteers follow through.

The dance music was played and most of the attendees hit the dance floor. I feel so old to join them. I sat near the registration desk and happily watching beautiful ladies and gorgeous men of different nationalities dancing on the latest house music of Arab, Indian, and English songs. Suddenly, one lady on her Abaya (local) approached me with a beautiful smile and asked, “Sir! I cannot find my certification”. I looked back at the table and find out that no one is manning the distribution of certification. Although I was not assigned to do it, I stand up, go over the certification and helped the young lady. Luckily, we found it.

On the next 3 hours I found myself enjoying the beat of the music, dance a bit (on the registration desk) and at the same time helping the committee to distribute the certificates. I feel so overwhelmed and satisfied. I don’t have anybody with me at the party but the help I extend to the event was awesome and made me happy. A big surprised came, Mr. Bob McCarthy DIFF Manager of Volunteer approached me and shook my hand and said, “Thank you so much for staying. I really appreciate your help!” Wow! I never expect to hear that from a soft spoken and very humble British expat managing the 500 volunteers for DIFF. it’s like I won the “star of the night.”

I left the place at almost 11pm. I did not expect that I will stay for that long. I went home with a smile and a big heart. All the hardships that I encountered on volunteering were paid off not for the food vouchers they gave nor the certification or the party, but the smile I saw from the faces of those people I helped.

Until next year for the 6th Dubai International Film Festival!

No comments: